What’s Your Favorite Mascara?
I recently did a “what’s your favorite mascara?” poll, and the responses were all over the place! There were brands I expected, brands I didn’t expect and brands I never heard of. This was no scientific focus group but I still thought there’d be a little more consensus. So while I can’t report a landslide victory, here are the top contenders and what their fans had to say about them.
1. Benefit Badgal Lash Mascara. Benefit is not a brand I have ever paid attention to. It seems cute and kitschy and fun but I’ve never felt compelled to try it. That, however, is no longer true because apparently their mascara is IT! This is by far the mascara most often mentioned as a favorite.
“Love the fat brush and how it lengthens and thickens without clumps. I’m addicted!”
“I really like the brush. Plus I have dry, sensitive eyes and it doesn’t irritate.”
“I love it! And they have travel sizes so I can replace tubes often.”
2. L’Oreal Paris Voluminous Carbon Black. Coming in at second place, L’Oreal still proves you don’t necessarily have to spend a lot of $ to get great lashes.
“It has a big, soft thick brush that reaches close to roots and never clumps. My lashes are blondish – this mascara gives it color and makes them thicker without having to use liner between. It’s also gentle – lashes stay soft and flexible. Also, I prefer the original version because I have never found the new, “improved” versions better!”
“I use it on top of Maybelline Full ‘N Soft – it’s cheap and works great!”
3. DiorShow. This is the quintessential mascara for drama. We are talking serious mascara lovers who are not afraid of diva lashes. And they are also not afraid to show their love!
“When I’m not wearing falsies, I wear DiorShow with Maybelline Falsies (the purple one).”
“I use DiorShow mixed with Urban Decay’s Fatty Lash Mascara!”
“DiorShow is my all-time favorite! I add Makeup Forever Smoky Lash for even more drama.”
4. Trish McEvoy Lash Curling Mascara. I haven’t used it myself but this mascara has both “civilian” and professional makeup artist fans.
“It’s easy to apply, no clumping, no smudging, and removes with warm water.”
“Its formula washes off as a gel so you never get black under your eyes. Both the volumizing & curling formulas work this way – they just have different brushes.”
5. Lancôme. Lancôme got several mentions, but all for different formulas. I’ve known for years that Lancôme mascara users are rabid fans!
Lancôme Hypnôse. “It makes lashes look thick with out clumping but also separates them nicely. It is also easy to remove.”
Lancôme Definicils. “This mascara seems to last longer and makes my lashes look GREAT!”
Lancôme Extencils. “Still rocks.”
However, no one was more enthusiastic in recommending Lancôme CILS Booster XL:
“I wanted to let you know the makeup tip of the century. I went to replace my mascara and got a free lash primer with it. It’s white and coats lashes, making the mascara go on easier and lashes look even fuller and longer. How could I have lived this long without knowing of this magic?”
THE HONORABLE MENTIONS These mascaras were mentioned more than once and/or highly recommended by those I know who know.
Tarte’s Lights Camera Lashes
Clinique Lash Long Wearing Formula “I’ve used it for years because it stays on all day and I don’t look like a raccoon by the time I get off work.”
YSL Mascara Volume Effet Faux Cils “The Best! But $$.”
Giorgio Armani Eyes to Kill “Goes on thick, brush separates lashes well for a defined long lash look. Also love the packaging – think it’s metal and has Giorgio A. name engraved on it, it’s very heavy and premium-looking.”
Origins Fringe Benefits “My eyes are so sensitive that a lot of other mascaras irritate them. This one is super mellow and doesn’t hurt my eyes!”
Finally, I just discovered a KILLER new mascara which I will be writing about next! Stay tuned.